Posted on March 5, 2009

When shipping goods outside the United Kingdom, shippers have to declare the goods to UK Customs.  To do this, the goods must have a Tariff Classification – a special code number which is found in the HMRC Customs Tariff.  The Tariff is currently available both in printed format and on-line, but the printed version is under threat as the contract between Customs and the printers runs out at the end of this year.  Depending on demand and on cost, it may be discontinued.

Tariff Classification can be extremely complicated, and the shipper needs to have available all the details about their product.  If in doubt, they should consult their freight forwarder, or use the Tariff Classification Advice Line.  Details of this and other help from HMRC  is available on the website customs/hmrc.gov.uk. 


waste EU France South Africa freight forwarding exports Poland Hong Kong exporters Gothenburg Sweden freight Norway wine Covid-19 freight air freight Switzerland rail freight Netherlands freight forwarders exports China Germany Spain export India Canada italy Seafreight Japan Swedish Denmark Pakistan USA Sweden Vietnam U.S.A China Australia container Freight Shipping imports cargo Ireland Finland logisitics shipping containers Turkey Brexit logistics